Paul S. Cederna, M.D.
Robert Oneal, M.D. Collegiate Professor, Plastic Surgery
Section Head, Plastic Surgery
Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
2130 Taubman Center
1500 E. Medical Center Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0340
February 20th & 21st, 2014
On behalf of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, we are honoured and take great pleasure in announcing that Dr. Paul Cederna will be our Visiting Professor 2014.
Paul S. Cederna, MD, serves as Professor in the Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Michigan School of Medicine. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery as well as a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery. He also serves as a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Cederna received his Bachelors of Science in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan College of Engineering and his MD degree from the University of Michigan Medical School. Thereafter, he completed a residency in General Surgery and a fellowship in Microsurgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He then returned to Ann Arbor, Michigan where he completed his Plastic Surgery Fellowship training at the University of Michigan Health System. He then completed two additional years of basic science research training as a post doctoral research fellow within the Muscle Mechanics Lab of the at the University of Michigan. He has since joined the faculty at the University of Michigan where he has been a full time academic surgeon since 1999.
Dr. Cederna is an active member of many national specialty societies and holds many leadership positions within them. He has been President of the American Society for Peripheral Nerve, President of the Michigan Academy of Plastic Surgeons, a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons Board of Directors, a member of the Plastic Surgery Foundation Board of Directors, and an Oral Board Examiner for the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is currently the Chairman of the plastic Surgery Research Council. He has authored over 110 scientific manuscripts and over 14 book chapters in the field of plastic surgery. He has presented his work over 290 times at regional and national meetings. Dr. Cederna has been recognized for his clinical accomplishments and is currently listed in the “Best Doctors in America”, “Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons”, “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons”, “America’s Most Compassionate Doctors”, Marquis “Who’s Who in America”, Biltmore “Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals”, and “America’s Top Doctors”. He has also been recognized with a “Patient’s Choice Award”.
Dr. Cederna has been recognized for his clinical accomplishments and is currently listed in the “Best Doctors in America”, the “Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons”, Marquis “Who’s Who in America”, Biltmore “Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals”, and “American’s Top Doctors”. He has also been recognized with a “Patient’s Choice Award”.
Dr. Cederna specializes in burn reconstruction, minimally invasive plastic surgery, and cosmetic surgery. He has a particular interest in finding new, innovative and minimally invasive approaches to treating clinically difficult problems. In addition, Dr. Cederna enjoys utilizing his microsurgical training in solving complex wound problems requiring free tissue transfer.
- 1981-1985 – Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI; B.S.E. (cum laude)
- 1985-1989 – University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI; M.D.
- 1989-1990 – General Surgical Internship, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- 1990-1994 – General Surgical Residency, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- 1994-1995 – Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- 1995-1997 – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1997-1999 – Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Institute of Gerontology, Muscle Mechanics Laboratory, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
Certification and Licensure
- 1989 – Medical Licensure, Iowa
- 1989 – National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1995 – Medical Licensure, Michigan
- 1996 – American Board of Surgery Certification
- 1999 – American Board of Plastic Surgery Certification
Thursday, February 20th, 2014, the Visiting Professor event will be dedicated to the senior residents only. Friday, February 21st, 2014 will mark the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Research Day, which will be open to all faculty, residents, fellows and alumni. Please mark the dates for these important events on your calendar.
Christopher R. Forrest