International medical graduates who are not Canadian citizens (or who do not have Permanent Resident status in Canada) require a Work Permit for their Clinical Fellowship training at the University of Toronto.
They must obtain Ministry of Health Review Committee approval for any extension of their Clinical Fellowship training beyond 36 months.
Work Permit trainees requiring Clinical Fellowship extensions beyond the 36 month maximum allowed by the Ministry of Health must send the following items to the Postgraduate Medical Education Office:
Extension Request Letters
Detailed original (no copies please) letters requesting the extension are mandatory from the following individuals:
- Program Director *
* Please note that subspecialty program directors must forward their letters to the Departmental specialty program director.
These letters should be addressed to:
Mr. Gilles Huot
Manager, Physician Planning Unit
Health Human Resources Policy Branch
Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care
56 Wellesley Street West, 12th Floor
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2S3
The letters should include a detailed description of the educational objectives of the fellowship program and outline the importance of these objectives to the career aims of the trainee.
In addition to the letter listed above, the following documents must be included in your Fellowship Extension Request package sent to PMEO:
- Completed and signed Statement of Intention form (as per accompanying form, original needed)
Statement of Intention
- Completed and signed Consent to Receive and Disclose Information form (as per accompanying form, original needed)
Consent to Disclosure
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae (original needed)
- Payment of the University of Toronto Visa Processing Fee, in the form of a cheque/credit card/money order payable to the University of Toronto in the amount of $150.00 (standard form enclosed)
UofT VISA Processing Fee Form
Please send the required documentation through your Departmental Office to:
Ms. Jessica Filion
Acting Coordinator, Visa Trainees
Postgraduate Medical Education Office
500 University Avenue, Suite 602
Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1V7
If you have any questions regarding Review Committee submissions, please do not hesitate to contact Jessica Filion:
Tel.: (416) 946-8221
Fax: (416) 978-7144