History of the Division

Plastic surgery has had a long and proud history in Toronto. In 1921, Dr. E. Fulton Risdon, considered by many to be the father of Canadian plastic surgery, started practice as the city’s first plastic surgeon. He continued to work at Toronto Western Hospital for 45 years. His contributions to the discipline of plastic surgery are still evident today in the areas of mandibular and craniofacial surgery.

The ensuing years saw a great deal of activity and development as plastic surgery grew into a bonafide specialty. In 1958, the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Toronto was established. Today, the Division incorporates the activities of 48 surgeons across all the Toronto teaching hospitals, including the University Health Network (Toronto General, Toronto Western, and Princess Margaret Hospitals), Mount Sinai Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael’s Hospital, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, Women’s College Hospital, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto East General Hospital, and Trillium Health Centre, providing clinical expertise in all areas of plastic surgery.

History of Plastic Surgery Links

  • History of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
    The “History of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons” by Dr. Leith G. Douglas was published in 1983 and covers the history of this Society from its founding in 1947 until 1982
  • The Gillies Archives
    A large archive detailing the activities of Sir Harold Gillies, one of the forefathers of modern Plastic Surgery
  • National Archives of Plastic Surgery
    The National Archives of Plastic Surgery is the largest repository in the United States devoted to documenting the history of plastic surgery

Firsts in Canadian Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

by Faculty and Alumni from the Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
University of Toronto

Division Chairs

Left to right: Dr. Peter Neligan, Dr. Ralph Manktelow, Dr.

Left to Right: Dr. Peter Neligan, Dr. Ralph Manktelow, Dr. W.K. Lindsay

July 2013 – Present

Dr. Christopher R. Forrest, Chair

2011 – 2013

Dr. Christopher R. Forrest, Interim Chair

2006 – 2011

Dr. Dimitri Anastakis, Chair

1996 – 2006

Dr. Peter Neligan, Chair

1986 – 1996

Dr. Ralph Manktelow, Chair

1963 – 1986

Dr. W.K. Lindsay, Chair