The Division of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery offers a 12 month Fellowship in Oncologic and Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
|Number of Positions
|Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
|Dr. Joan Lipa
|Dr. Laura Snell
|Grant-in-Aid for Educational Purposes
The fellowship provides training focusing on the following areas:
- Immediate and delayed breast reconstruction, including implant and free flap techniques
- Partial breast reconstruction, including oncoplastic techniques
- Reconstruction of craniofacial soft tissue defects
- Reconstruction of major post-traumatic extremity defects
- Melanoma management
- Complex reconstruction to manage post-traumatic or cancer ablation defects
Multidisciplinary approaches in the care of breast cancer and melanoma patients is emphasized.
This fellowship is unique because of the joint exposure to busy trauma and cancer services. Sunnybrook’s Trauma, Emergency & Critical Care (TECC) Program is the largest single-site critical care resource in Ontario and home to Canada’s first and largest regional trauma centre. In addition, Sunnybrook is home to the Edmond Odette Regional Cancer Centre and the Louise Temerty Breast Cancer Centre. Sunnybrook’s Canadian Simulation Centre is the first simulation program in Ontario to receive accreditation from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This is a multidisciplinary facility which includes microsurgery training facilities.
Fellows are expected to obtain Research Ethics Board approval for a research project and carry it to completion, including presentation and publication.
The ability to effectively communicate with patients and other health care providers is essential, and teaching of medical students and residents is expected.
Please provide the following:
- A letter outlining why you wish to pursue this fellowship, including anticipated starting date
- Two letters of recommendations
- Names of two additional referees that we may contact for information
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of TOEFL completion if language of instruction in medical school is not English
Laura J. Snell, MD, MSc, FRCS(C)
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue, M1-519a, Toronto, ON, M4N 3M5
Phone: (416) 480-6069
Fax: (416) 480-5795