|Number of Positions||1|
|Site||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre|
|Supervisor||Dr. Paul Binhammer|
|Co-Supervisor||Dr. Jana Dengler|
The educational purpose of the fellowship it to:
- Enhance the clinical expertise in evaluation and management of patients presenting with complex upper and lower nerve problems including peripheral nerve, brachial plexus injuries, and spinal cord injury.
- Enhance the technical skills related to repair and reconstruction for peripheral nerve, brachial plexus injuries, spinal cord injury. These skills include nerve repair, nerve transfer, nerve grafting, nerve decompression, arthrodesis, and tendon/free muscle transfer.
- Enhance the clinical expertise in evaluation and management of patients presenting with acute traumatic and acquired hand problems, both common and complex related to arthritis, post traumatic and other causes.
- Collaborate in mutidisciplinary teams to evaluate and and provide comprehensive care for patients with complex peripheral nerve problems.
This fellowship is unique because of the joint exposure to busy trauma and cancer services. Sunnybrook’s Trauma, Emergency & Critical Care (TECC) Program is the largest single-site critical care resource in Ontario and home to Canada’s first and largest regional trauma centre.
Fellows are expected to obtain Research Ethics Board approval for a research project and carry it to completion, including presentation and publication.
The ability to effectively communicate with patients and other health care providers is essential, and teaching of medical students and residents is expected.
Please provide the following:
- A letter outlining why you wish to pursue this fellowship, including anticipated starting date
- Two letters of recommendations
- Names of two additional referees that we may contact for information
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of TOEFL completion if language of instruction in medical school is not English
Paul Binhammer M.Sc. M.D. F.R.C.S.(C)
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave.
Toronto, ON, Canada
Phone: (416) 480-6731
Fax: (416) 480-6757