MBChB, FC Plast Surg, MMed, FRCSI, MSc
Plastic Surgeon, Ross Tilley Burn Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Dr. Alan Rogers completed his medical degree at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in 2002. Following internship and community service, he was a clinical fellow in plastic surgery at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead in England (2005/2006). He then undertook general surgery (2007 to 2010) and plastic surgery (2010 to 2014) speciality training at Groote Schuur Hospital and Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital in Cape Town, culminating in a Masters of Medicine degree from UCT and a Fellowship of the College of Plastic Surgery of South Africa, both in 2013. After a fellowship in Total Burn Care at the Ross Tilley Burn Centre at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in 2014, he took up a position as attending burn surgeon.
His main clinical interests relate to complex wound care and reconstructive surgery, especially for trauma and burns. In 2017 he completed a MSc in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety from the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation at University of Toronto. He is actively involved in the University of Toronto’s International Surgery office and the Surgery in Africa initiative, as well as the South African Burn Society. He is a member of the Research Ethics Board and co-chair of the Infection Prevention and Control Committee at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Areas of Specialty
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, The Ross Tilley Burn Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue, D718
(416) 480-6100 Ext 3769
• Acute and reconstructive burn surgery
1. Rogers AD, Deal C, Argent AC, Hudson DA, Rode H. Ventilator associated pneumonia in major paediatric burns. Burns. 2014 Sep; 40 (6): 1141-8
2. Rogers AD, Shahrokhi S. Surgical Management of Necrotising Soft Tissue Infection. In Collins KA (Ed). Up To Date. August 2016
3. Rogers AD, Blackport E, Cartotto R. The use of Biobrane in Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis Syndrome. 2017 Nov;43(7):1464-1472.
4. Rode H, Martinez R, Potgieter D, Adams S, Rogers AD. Experience and outcomes of micrografting for major paediatric burns. Burns. 2017 Aug;43(5):1103-1110.
5. Ziolkowski N, Rogers AD, Xiong W, Hong B, Patel S, Trull B, Jeschke MG. The impact of operative time and hypothermia in acute burn surgery.Burns. 2017 Oct 28.