During his tenure, he mentored and influenced hundreds of students, residents and fellows and was integral in shaping the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons with the introduction of the “Resident’s Corner” and “Beyond the Knife”. Above all, Dr. T was known for his values of collegiality, honesty, generosity, mentorship and humanitarianism.
To commemorate his legacy, the Thomson family and the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at The Hospital for Sick Children have established an award in his name to be given to the trainee in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery who best emulates his philosophies as a humanitarian.
Terms of Reference
- Any resident in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Toronto is eligible for this award.
- One award will be given each year.
- In the absence of a suitable candidate, the award may be deferred and may be carried over to the following year.
- Residents may be nominated by staff, students, residents, fellows and patients.
- Nominations will take the form of a brief letter outlining why the nominee should be considered for the award and addressed to the Chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children.
- A minimum of 2 letters are necessary for consideration.
- Deadline for nominations would be May 1st of the calendar year.
- All nominations will be judged by the division staff at The Hospital for Sick Children.
- Award winners will receive a cash award ($1000), plaque and recognition on a plaque in The Hospital for Sick Children.
- Presentation of the award will be made at the Division Graduation Gala Dinner held each June.
- This award will be underwritten through contributions made in Dr. Thomson’s memory and through contributions from the members of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Letters of nomination may be sent to:
Christopher R. Forrest, MD., MSc., FRCS (C), FACS
Chief, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Suite 5430 – 555 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1X8
|(( Award Winners ))|